Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast with Strawberry Sauce
I was considering calling this PB, B & J french toast, but I didn’t think people would get it…and it doesn’t really have jam in it. Well anyways, I woke up late today and decided to use up some old strawberries for my lunch. I decided on french toast and then got the idea of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Bananas were thrown into the mix and the following creation was born.
Here’s what you’re gonna need:
- 2 slices of bread
- peanut butter
- 1/2 a banana, sliced thinly
- 1 egg
- a splash of milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 6-8 strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup water
1. Start by making the strawberry sauce. Put the strawberries into a small saucepan with the sugar and water and heat to a boil. Squeeze in some lemon juice (a tablespoon at most) and add a pinch of salt. Allow it to boil mildly until the liquid is reduced to about half and has a ‘syrupy’ consistency.
2. Meanwhile, spread a layer of peanut butter on both slices of bread, as if making a sandwich. Layer the banana slices on the bread and press the 2 slices of bread together into a sandwich.
3. In a shallow cake pan (or something similar), beat the egg with the milk and maple syrup. Dip the sandwich into the egg mixture, allowing both sides to soak in the mixture for at least 10 seconds. Make sure to dip the edges of the sandwich in the egg as well.
4. Melt some butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the egg-soaked sandwich on both sides until golden brown. If you can, cook the edges of the sandwich as well (you can prop it up with a spatula).
5. Slice the sandwich diagonally and top with the strawberry sauce. Serve immediately!
This was a very filling lunch, probably because of all the peanut butter I added. The strawberry sauce turned out great and tasted just like strawberry sauce you would get for a sundae. I felt like it could have done without the bananas…but it was still good! This is a good brunch dish, fit for anyone who loves PB & J sandwiches. Yeah…there are a lot of pictures…but it does look good, doesn’t it? Eat up!