Leftovers Recipe – Salmon Cakes with Lemon Aioli
It was lunchtime yesterday and I was faced with a fridge full of leftovers and nothing else to eat. I didn’t want to eat the same stuff over again, so I decided to make something out of it (well only out one thing). Microwaved leftovers just aren’t satisfying. We had a bunch of leftover salmon from two dinners ago and the first thing that popped into my head was salmon cakes (plus salmon dries out a lot when it’s microwaved). Something easy and quick to make. I made up a ‘recipe’ as I went along and ended up with some decent salmon cakes. Maybe I’ll come up with more leftovers recipes and post them here.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
- about half a side of salmon, skin removed (depending on the size)
- 2 spoonfuls of mayonnaise (approximately)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of dijon mustard
- about 1/2 cup of crushed crackers (saltine crackers are preferable but I didn’t have any)
- a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper
1. ‘Flake’ the salmon using a fork. Remove any bones that may have been hiding.
2. Add the mayonnaise and mustard. Mix until combined. Add the egg, crushed cracker bits, salt and pepper, then mix until just combined.
3. Form into cakes with your hands. Makes about 4 good-sized cakes.
4. Pan-fry in butter on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
5. For the lemon aioli, cut the garlic clove in half and sprinkle the cut face with salt. Rub the garlic on the bottom of a bowl to release the juices. Discard the garlic. Add the mayonnaise and lemon juice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve the salmon cakes on a plate and drizzle with the aioli. Enjoy!